Founder of USM
- Alisher Usmanov is a successful entrepreneur and a renowned international investor. He is one of the world's most generous philanthropists. Forbes and Bloomberg have ranked him among the most influential people globally.
- Mr. Usmanov is the founder of USM, a private Russian holding company, bringing together highly successful businesses in the metals and mining, telecoms and technology .
- USM’s assets include Metalloinvest, a major global producer and supplier of iron ore and steel products; Udokan copper, which holds the license to develop Russia’s largest and one of the world’s largest undeveloped copper deposits; Akkerman cement, one of the largest cement producers in Russia and MegaFon, a leader in Russia’s telecommunications market. The group is a shareholder in the Centre for Research in Perspective Technologies, developer of a unified national track & trace digital system. Previously, USM was also an indirect shareholder of VK (previously Mail.ru Group), the leader in the Russian-language internet market, and owner of Russia’s leading social networks.
- Separately, Mr. Usmanov owns Kommersant Publishing House, the leading business media organisation in Russia, and USM Development, a prominent Russian real estate developer. He has also previously been a major shareholder in Arsenal Football Club in the United Kingdom.
- Mr. Usmanov has gained international recognition as a visionary investor due to his highly profitable early-stage investments in some of the fastest-growing internet and high-tech companies.
- Alisher Usmanov attaches great significance to philanthropic activities. He is the founder of the Art, Science and Sport Charity Foundation and a trustee for a range of social, educational and cultural organisations that are active in dozens of countries. More than once, he has topped the rankings of the most generous benefactors in Russia according to Bloomberg. For several successive years, Mr. Usmanov has been included in the top 100 most generous philanthropists according to The Sunday Times Giving List. In 2021, this newspaper recognised him as the most generous person in the Giving List over the 20 years since its launch. In 2020 and 2021 he was recognised by the Sunday Times as the largest donor towards the fight against COVID-19. His charitable efforts extend to more than 60 countries.
- For many years, Alisher Usmanov has devoted considerable attention to the development of sports in Russia and globally. He has served as President of the International Fencing Federation since 2008. Mr. Usmanov was re-elected to this position in 2012, 2016 and 2021. He is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Fencing Federation and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Olympians Foundation. Since 2018, he has been a member of the International Olympic Committee's Olympic Channel Commission.
- Mr. Usmanov was awarded the Order for Service to the Fatherland III and IV class in recognition of his services to the state, as well as his community and charitable activities. He also received the Order of Alexander Nevsky and the Order of Honour of the Russian Federation for his professional achievements, the Medal for Contribution to International Cooperation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
- He was also awarded the Distinction for a Good Deed, for his considerable philanthropic and societal contributions, as well as the Al-Fakhr Order I Class, the highest award of the Russian Council of Muftis, for strengthening mutual understanding between people of different nationalities. Mr. Usmanov received the Order “Duslyk” (Friendship) for his meaningful cooperation with the Republic of Tatarstan and his active public and charitable work
- Additionally, he became a Commander of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic for his contribution to relations between Russia and Italy, and as recognition of his participation in projects to preserve Italy’s architectural heritage. He was also awarded the El-Yurt Hurmati Order (translated as “Respected by People and Homeland”) for his significant contribution to strengthening links between the Republic of Uzbekistan and the Russian Federation, and for the realisation of large investment, spiritual education and sports projects in Uzbekistan. Mr Usmanov was also awarded the Order of Friendship (Dostyk) I Class from the Republic of Kazakhstan for contribution to the country and strengthening ties between the nations.
- Mr. Usmanov is an active member of the executive bodies of a number of non-governmental organisations and companies that play key roles in the development of the Russian economy. Since 2006, he has been on the Management Board of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs.
- Alisher Usmanov graduated from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations with a degree in international law in 1976, and he received a degree in banking from the Finance Academy under the Government of the Russian Federation in 1997. He is fluent in English, French, Russian and Uzbek.